Monday, July 18, 2016

Marvin #1: OBSERVATIONS AFTER ALMOST 500 MILES

from Marvin #1 : OBSERVATIONS AFTER ALMOST 500 MILES

1. I bought the ELF primarily to help me keep fit. So I pedal constantly when on the road, except when coasting downhill.

2. Pedaling up hills, even slight inclines, is very hard work, even in lower gears, and I welcome the boost from the 750 watt motor.

3. I believe a comfortable speed under pedals only, on a smooth level surface, without the electric booster, is 10-12 miles per hour. But I'm not sure, because few roads I've encountered so far have been level, and a very small change in incline makes a tremendous difference in pedaling effort required.

4. On very steep hills, the lowest gear isn't low enough for pedals alone; I add enough boost to maintain 6-8 mph. Full boost drains the battery rapidly, so I use only enough to keep pedaling at a reasonable speed.

5. On downhill runs the ELF quickly builds speed. At 20 mph I can't pedal much faster, so I start coasting. The ELF often coasts at 25-30 mph, and occasionaly reaches 40 mph, which seems safe only on smooth straight stretches. The rather short wheel base plus very quick steering require careful attention. With no springs, hitting pot holes at high speeds could break something.

6. My longest daily run so far has been 78 miles, with a pedaling time of about 5.5 hours. We would have stopped sooner, but our planned campground didn't officially permit camping, so we continued on to a motel in the next town.

7. We're not trying to set speed or endurance records. I make stops at 1-2 hour intervals, and we usually stop for several hours at mid-day, to rest, have lunch, and enjoy whatever attractions are available, while the ELF sits in the sun charging its battery.

8. Battery endurance depends on several variables. Of course the more I pedal, the longer a battery lasts. On smooth level roads a small amount of boost will add several mph to my speed with a small amp drain. Under moderate hilly conditions I can maintain a speed of 15-20 mph for 30 miles or more on one 15 ah battery. But steep hills drain the battery in a hurry! The ELF used most of a fully charged battery to climb about 2,000 ft. to Rocky Knob on the Blue Ridge Parkway from Deer Park Campground at the bottom of the ridge, a distance of about 15 miles.

9. Charging the ELF's 2 batteries has been a challenge. The solar panel on the roof charges at only 1-2 amps in bright sunlight, and takes more than a day (even with good sun) to fully charge one of the 15 ah batteries. It certainly helps, but we rely heavily on the A/C charger, which can fully charge a dead battery in about 4 hours. Unfortunately, none of the campgrounds on the Blue Ridge Parkway has electrical outlets available for campers. We found a commercial RV park with electric hookups at Fancy Gap, only a short distance from the parkway. But for the most part we have been charging one battery with the van's inverter while I use the other one in the ELF, which requires extra running time on the van's engine. That problem should disappear one we leave the Parkway and use state park campgrounds or motels.

Conclusion: I'm still learning how to get the most from my ELF. And I'm (mostly) enjoying the process. And I expect to be more fit when I get home than when I left.

Marvin

No comments:

Post a Comment